You can contact the emergency service if you have medical problems outside your doctor’s usual surgery hours. The following emergency services are available in Cologne:
Emergency paediatric service
There are three central emergency paediatric surgeries in Cologne. All surgeries are open 365 days a year and you can attend at the following times with children aged 0 to 18 without arranging a prior appointment.
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays from 7 to 11 p.m.
- Wednesdays and Fridays from 1 to 11 p.m.
- Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Addresses for emergency paediatric surgeries:
- Emergency paediatric service at the Städtische Kinderkrankenhaus Riehl
Amsterdamer Straße 59
Phone 0221 / 8888420
- Emergency paediatric service at the Universitäts-Kinderklinik
Building 26 (Access via the Gleueler Straße 115 entrance)
Phone 0221 / 47888999
- Emergency paediatric service at the Krankenhaus Porz am Rhein
Urbacher Weg 19
Phone 02203 / 9801191
Please contact the poisoning centre at the Universitätsklinikum Bonn, which is available 24 hours a day.
Phone: 0228 / 19240
Emergency medical and ophthalmic service
If you urgently require medical assistance you can use the nationwide free number for the emergency general medical service 116 117 at night and at the weekend. You do not need to dial an area code.
The previous number for the central emergency service in the Nordrhein region, 0180 / 5044100 (14 cent per minute from German landlines) can still be called during the following times:
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. the following day
- Wednesday and Fridays from midday to 8 a.m. the following day
- The line is open round the clock at the weekends and on public holidays.
For deaf people
People with hearing and/or speech impairments can use the fax number 0800 / 5895210. The Kassenärztliche Bundesvereinigung (KBV) has provided a fax template for this:
Emergency dental service
You can reach the emergency dental service on 01805 / 986700. They will give you the phone numbers of dentists who have an emergency service and you can then call them directly.
In the event of life-threatening illnesses or accidents please call the emergency services immediately: